Chain Reaction, Part One

"Now remember," Goddard called out to the descending students. "You need to be back on ship by 20 hundred hours, not a second later. Don't forget to get the supplies Harlan. And stay in your groups!" The airlock door slid closed and the cadets heard the high pitched whine of Davenport, starting to worry. This came as no surprise to the students, after all this was the first time they had been to a space station at all, let alone on their own.

Two days earlier the Christa had spotted the Svorkian Space Station, and for needs of replenishing supplies, had requested to land.

Since the crew of the Christa were strangers to them the Svorkians sent their mandatory Reconnaissance Team to check them out and deem them worthy. This meant that the Christa and its crew had to undergo various paper work, scans and investigations before they were finally given passports and clearance to land. The Christa had docked just that morning.

"Well," Goddard had turned to his team. "now that we're here you guys can take inventory and then I'll go get the supplies we need."

"Yeah sure," Harlan said quickly. "But what about us? Can't we go out and explore?"

"Well-" Goddard started but he was cut off by Davenport.

"Absolutely not!" she exclaimed. "This is a big space station and you could easily get lost."

The crew groaned in unison. "Come on Ms. Davenport," Harlan whined. "Don't you trust us?"

"I do trust you." Davenport said. "I don't trust that space station!"

More whining arose. Goddard stepped up to Davenport. "Ms. Davenport," he said, "the best way for the team to learn is through experience."

"And what exactly is that supposed to mean Commander?" Davenport snapped.

But Goddard held his ground. "It means that it would probably do some good for the students to explore the space station. Who knows, what if something is to happen to us and the cadets had to go out and get some help? Exploring this station would only help them better navigate in case of an emergency."

"Yeah!" all of the cadets chimed in.

Davenport looked uneasy. The Commander has a point but… Only if you go in groups," she persisted.

Goddard nodded. "Of course." Turning to his crew he said "Team, welcome to your shore leave!"

"You will be divided into two groups of three," Davenport added. With an uncharacteristic wink she turned to the newest member of the crew. "This will be your first outing back in your home dimension Catalina. To make it more enjoyable you may pick the two people of your group."

Thinking that Cat would choose her Suzee squealed in delight as she turned to her friend. Ever since the Yensidians had figured out a way to transport Cat back to her home dimension Suzee had never left her best friend's side. Part of the reason- the one that she claimed to- was that she had missed Cat. But due to a difference in atmospheres and a lack of technology in Cat's home dimension Suzee was unable to go back home. "For the time being," the Yensidian scientists had assured her. But hey- they were able to set up a communications link between the two dimensions so Suzee could talk to her parents and sisters. But it just wasn't the same as being home. So Suzee was going to get all the current events from her homeland from the only available source in this dimension- Catalina. She has to chose me, Suzee thought, she just has to.

Catalina's eager eyes took hold of the whole crew- Suzee and Rosie's wide smiles, Bova's usual frown, Radu's modest and shy look and finally Harlan's a little too overconfident grin. With an all-too-even tone Cat said, "I choose Harlan and Radu." Suzee's mouth dropped as Harlan and even Radu flashed gaping grins at Catalina.

"All right then. Suzee, Rosie and Bova are the second group."

"Oh great!" Rosie cried. "We're going to have so much fun!"

"You betchya," Bova said sarcastically.

"Oh Bova!" Rosie chided, as she turned to her second group member. "Oh Suzee, we'll have the best time, just you wait!"

***

"Cat, Cat!"

Catalina jumped, dropping her compu pad. Angrily she turned her head to see Suzee rushing up to her. "Suzee you startled me," Cat snapped. "And I think I just broke my compu pad."

Suzee ignored her comment. "Why didn't you choose me?" she demanded. "You could have had one of the boys."

Cat sighed. "Suzee I've been back in my home dimension for two weeks- two weeks! Would you like to know what my schedule has been like? I eat with you, sleep with you, drink with you, sit with you, play Minbar chess with you, monitor the ship with you," she threw her arms up in exasperation. "I haven't spoken one word to Radu besides 'please' and 'thank you'. Harlan and I haven't even gotten into an argument yet." Cat sighed again. "I haven't seen or heard from any of this crew besides for you in twelve months Suzee, twelve months. I just wanna spend some time with them that's all. See you in class." With that Catalina turned away leaving Suzee behind.

***

So that was how Suzee had gotten into this mess. Now she watched as her best friend, Harlan and Radu skipped away, engrossed in a game that Harlan called "tag". Suzee sighed and prepared herself for a long day.

The airlock doors adjoining their docking bay and the space station opened and revealed to the cadets a wondrous sight. Before them lay a vast area with plenty of appealing shops and a diversity of aliens. The crew held their breaths in awe.

"We'd better mind what the Commander said," Harlan ordered, already taking the lead of authority, "and stay in our groups. So we'll see you guys later." Without another word Harlan, Catalina and Radu disappeared into the crowd.

"So!" Rosie turned to her group. "Where do you guys wanna go first?"

"Home," Bova answered with mock sincerity.

"How about we go find a pet store Rosie?" Suzee interjected before Rosie could reply to the Urasian.

"Oh yeah. So I can watch Rosie 'ooo' and 'aaa' over mysterious cuddly animals that probably carry all sorts of unknown diseases!"

"Bova you need to think more positively!" Rosie said, striding to catch up to his lead. The two started bickering light heartedly as they walked through the crowd.

Absentmindedly Suzee wandered along behind them, keeping Rosie's pink head in sight to make sure that they didn't get separated. I can't believe that she chose them, she thought ruefully. I can't believe that they let her do this! She's my best friend and the only link to my home world.

"Hey," Rosie suddenly broke Suzee out of her trance. "Look at that." She pointed to a small shop, oddly enough decorated in primitive neon signs and lighting. "What's that?"

Suzee looked around, surprised at how far she, Rosie and Bova had walked and how long she had been engrossed in her inner thoughts. She looked back to the shop and read one of the neon signs. "Bookstore…." She puzzled out.

"Oh!" Rosie brightened with realization. "Don't you remember Bova, when Ms. Davenport showed us those ancient books, filled with documents and files on science?"

"How could I forget?" Bova mumbled with only a hint of sarcasm.

"Well this store must sell those things!" Rosie cried. "Let's go in!"

Bova and Suzee eyed each other. "You might find some ancient recipe document of some kind," Suzee offered.

Bova let a look of interest cross his face. "OK, let's go!" The threesome entered the store.

Immediately an employee found his way up to them. "Welcome to the Svorkian Space Station Book Store! Here you can find history documents written by our ancient ancestors and even the most modern of science, recorded in this traditional way!"

"Cool!" Rosie cried.

'Good thing Ms. Davenport isn't here," Bova muttered to Suzee. "We might never leave."

Suzee swallowed a chuckle then turned to the employee. "We won't be needing any help now, thank you."

"Of course." The employee gave a formal nod. "Just come up to the front desk if you do in the future." With that he left them.

Suzee scanned the shelves of books that lay before her. They seemed to be arranged in some sort of order- above every shelf was a card board label. "'77th solar cycle- 42nd solar cycle- The first period of recorded Svorkian history'" Suzee mumbled a label.

Look!" Rosie cried, "'Animals of the Svorkian Homelands'- cool!"

"Why don't you go over and read a bit?" Suzee suggested.

Rosie didn't need to be told twice. She was already dashing off toward the shelf.

As Suzee saw her classmate's smiling face a feeling of homesickness over whelmed her. "I'm going to explore this place a bit." She addressed Bova in a cool self- confident voice she had mastered since childhood. She glanced over at her second group mate and was surprised to find that he had snuck away from her and was now reading a thick volume. Suzee squinted to see the title- The End Is Near- Twelve Theories Supporting The End Of The Universe. Suzee chucked. Even Bova is charmed by these books, she thought. Maybe they'll cheer me up too.

Suzee aimlessly wandered over to a shelf labeled "Modern Scientific Advancements". She gave a primitive snort. Yensid probably made these discoveries eons ago. As if to prove her point she pulled out a book titled Magic Potions- Brews To Make You Thinner, Younger And More Beautiful. She leafed through it. Thought of them all. In disgust she thrust the book back onto the shelf. To her surprise a yellowed sheet of paper fell out. Suzee scanned the area to see if anyone was watching. Then she bent down and picked it up. "Time Traveling Potion," Suzee read the flowing penmanship.

Suzee's eyes widened in surprise. The Yensidians had just started dappling with time travel- how could this primitive dimension know anything about it? It's probably fake Suzee assured herself. A practical joke of some kind.

Yet this mixture has to do something, she reasoned, Maybe the Svorkians just mistook to be time traveling. Still I don't know what it does- what a rare occurrence! And I'd like to find out. So I'd better buy that book. Of course Suzee realized that she could just take the paper but that might be classified as stealing, an act that no one of her high status ever committed. Davenport had prohibited giving the children any money, besides for Harlan who had just enough to get the supplies for the Christa. But fortunately for Suzee a rare coincidence had occurred. She had been able to capture the affection of one of the members on the Reconnaissance Team and he had given her- she had not asked for it, he just gave it to her- a small sum of Svorkian currency as was his custom. Suzee checked the price of the book. She had just enough.

Keeping her eye on Bova and Rosie Suzee edged up to the front desk and the employee rung it up for her. "No bag please," she said as she paid him the bill. A bag would certainly cause suspicion from the others. So instead she tucked her secret book into her coveralls.

***

Rosie stuck her head into the girls' bunkroom. "Hurry up you guys- dinner is getting cold- come up to the galley!" She moved her head out of the way as the doors slid shut.

Catalina turned to her best friend, beaming from ear to ear. "Radu and I had a sweet talk today!" she cried happily. 'And Harlan and I argued over the quality of the android parts we got for Thelma. It felt just like old times!" She straightened out the wrinkles in her uniform. "I hope that you had fun with Rosie and Bova! How I would have loved to go out with them if we stayed at the station longer. I'd love to hear the details but I gotta run- Harlan and Radu are saving a place for me- in between them!" With a dash the girl was out of the room.

Suzee gaped wide in surprise as another feeling over took her- jealousy. How could they save a place for her? They never did for me. Besides she should be sitting next to me- not them. How could so much be going wrong today?

Well one thing was interesting… Suzee corrected herself, removing the book from her coveralls. Maybe I can puzzle out that mixture now- I sure don't want to go up for dinner. She suddenly brightened. And Bova's got some perfectly good equipment in his room! And since he's at dinner I can use it without him noticing. It's a great plan!

***

"Lights dim," Suzee called out. The lights of the boys' bunkroom corresponded to her wishes. She scanned the room and lo and behold- Bova had left his cleaned equipment right on the table in the middle of the room! Suzee eagerly sat down and got to work.

The mixture, she found to her surprise, consisted mainly of common organic like acidic water and inter-planetary leaves. I can hardly see why these people thought this concoction preformed time travel- it looks more like a herbal tea! But still she continued her work, loosing track of time.

Suddenly time rushed back to her as the bunkroom doors opened. Suzee's head snapped up as Harlan, Radu and Catalina entered. For a split second they all stood frozen in place. Then Harlan decided to take action. 'What are you doing in here? And why weren't you at dinner?"

"Why didn't you call me over the intercom if you wanted me for dinner?" Suzee snapped back.

"Ms. Davenport said to just let you sulk!" Catalina was easy to retort.

The verbal blow was painful to Suzee since her best friend had spoken it. She paused for a second, allowing Harlan to press his advantage. "And what are you doing with this stuff? You know as well as anyone that Bova freaks out every time some one so much as brushes a sleeve against his equipment!" Harlan spread his hands over the equipment to make them stand out but in the process knocked over the jar that Suzee had just finished pouring the completed mixture into.

"Now look what you've done!" Suzee cried, bending over to retrieve the jar. Cat, Harlan and Radu bent down too, to help her. Spontaneously, their hands touched the mixture and then suddenly there was a flash!

When the light cleared, the boys' bunkroom of the starship Christa was empty. And all of the files and documents recording the lives of Harlan Band, Suzee, Catalina and Radu 386 stopped there, as if the foursome were completely wiped out of existence.

***

Suzee and Harlan tumbled to the floor like dominos and Catalina and Radu fell on top of them. It took a second for the four-some to get over their shock. Finally they scrambled to their feet.

"Where are we?" Harlan whispered. One second ago they were stooping down in the boys' bunkroom. Now they were enclosed in a rectangular room, dim and made of steel.

Suzee stared at her surroundings in complete shock. "That mixture must have been the form of a telemorph," she mused aloud. "Whoever knew that such an ancient race could stumble upon such an advanced science?"

"What?" Suzee's crewmates looked at her in bewilderment.

Suzee sighed. "I might as well tell you now." She told them about the incident in the book store.

***

"So I went to the boys' room to use Bova's equipment to see what this mixture does," Suzee concluded. "Then Harlan knocked it over and we all touched the substance and now we're here." Suzee threw her hands up. 'And that's all I know."

"So what you're telling me," Harlan paced, voice rising. "Is that because of your stupid impulse to buy a worthless book and then use Bova's stuff without permission got us four transported to some place in the universe, possibly light years away from the Christa, and from home?!"

"On the contrary Harlan Band," A deep voice boomed, echoing off the walls. In shock, the cadet's huddled close together. "Your physical structures are around the same place that they were when you disappeared from the Starship Christa. Just altered by the movements you've made here."

"Who are you?" Harlan called out, voice shaking.

A low growl of a laugh sounded. Suddenly a beam of light shot out from the ceiling. Harlan and Radu jumped back in surprise. Oddly, the girls were unmoved. This seems oddly familiar… As they pondered over this thought a form of matter fizzled into the beam, first blurry, then growing more and more distinguished. As it grew recognizable the crewmates gasped in horror. It was a Spung.

"We've been hunting you four down for a long time," The Spung began to walk and the beam diminished. "A very long time. We knew that you'd arrive in this very spot in the future but we did not know that it would take twenty years." The Spung shoved his face close to Radu's. "And your ancestors must have told you how we Spung hate to wait."

As Radu stood frozen in place Harlan shoved the Spung away from his friend. "I don't know how you captured us but we're not gonna give you any information about the Christa."

The Spung laughed aloud. "Nor will that be required of you. You see, our holy leader Warlord Shank captured the Christa almost… two decades ago." His lips were fixed into a sinister grin. "We were fortunate enough to catch the Christa while your crew was still in shock over your mysterious disappearance. They were easy to fight and easy to surrender. Shank took personal pleasure in killing them one by one." The Spung spoke slowly, making sure that each word held impact. Leaning towards "the savage Andromedan" he said indifferently "With the Serola watching him."

The foursome stood in deadly silence. Finally Suzee said dully "so it was a time travel mixture." Recollection finally came- "and the way you entered the room- that's the way the Yensidians do it now- twenty years ago."

"Suzee of Yensid." The Spung's glare moved from Radu to Suzee. "No records outside of the Christa clarify your existence. And I'm not a believer of fairy tales- another dimension? Ludicrous if you ask me. Your android Thelma also supports it but she's always been a scrap heap when it comes to knowledge." He paused for effect, then added "although she now aids the Spung Empire."

Another silence emerged. Then Catalina spoke nastily to cover her fear: "So why don't you just kill us al- ow!" Harlan had stepped on her foot, making silencing motions.

Once again the Spung laughed. "Our leader, Warlord Shank will take care of that. But over the years we Spung have… modified our techniques of torture. Why just kill an enemy- when you can cause them so much pain first?"

The cadets shuddered visibly. Pleased at this the Spung continued "so in that spirit a little holotape has been prepared for you, one that has been waiting for around… oh, fifteen years. I am sure that you will find it very… interesting."

Without warning Catalina, Harlan, Radu and Suzee tripped and fell back into iron chairs. Suzee watched as the boys drew back in shock. "Glad to see you guys finally caught up with us."

The Spung looked at her scornfully. "What a primitive way of hiding your emotions- pretending to be superior to your captors. Quite the human way of dealing with your fears."

Harlan glared angrily. "Actually it's more of a Spung re-action!" he retorted. "And so is this melodramatic procedure you got set up here!"

The Spung let out a chuckle. "It gets better," he replied. "A whole lot better."

The lights dimmed and the holotape suddenly flashed on, portraying a more accurate production of the third dimension. As surprising as this was to the crew, soon their thoughts would be on something much different, something that would extinguish their hopes and dreams like a flame.

The Christa flashed onto the digital space, appearing to be flying at a rapid pace. "Once we got hold of the Christa," the Spung said, taking on the role of the narrator, "We were able to discover all of her tactic capabilities. Our holy leader knew that there was a rare power in your ship so he spent the seven years it took to get to the UPP learning about its… capabilities." On the screen, the angle changed to portray the UPP headquarters, right in front of the Christa. "The UPP sent us the standard transmission that they sent to all foreign vessels but before we heard the entirety of your message-" right on cue, a green blast shot from the Christa and the UPP went up in flames. "We had destroyed your headquarters."

Harlan, Suzee and Radu sat, as if frozen in time. This has to be a dream, Harlan thought. It sure doesn't feel real. What do we do now?

The Spung allowed the foursome to stay absorbed in their shock for a little while. Finally the lights snapped back on and the cadets were released from their bondage. "Take them to the prison," he scoffed and four more Spung entered through more beams. Without even trying to put up a fight the kids allowed themselves to be dragged away.

***

None too lightly the foursome was shoved into a tiny and primitive prison cell. "Sleep tight," one of the Spung hissed, chaining up the bars which imprisoned them. Another couple of light beams and the guards were gone.

The four cadets stood, trying to catch their breaths. Suddenly a voice called out meekly from behind them: "Harlan? Catalina? Radu?" The cadets turned and to their surprise they found an old familiar face staring back at them.

"Sophiana Mertz!" Harlan cried out the name.

"None other." Sophiana's appearance looked older and more fatigued but for a moment the usual smirk lit up her face.

"What are you doing here?"

'Long story." Placing her hands on the floor Sophiana struggled to get up. "Let's just say I didn't 'pay obedience' to the Spung." She turned to Suzee. "So you must be Suzee, the alleged 'Yensidian' who disappeared from the Christa with those three."

"Suzee was present when you were with us just… in another dimension," Catalina tried to explain.

Sophiana raised an eyebrow skeptically. "I can see that the Spung called in the Luff to play some mind games on you. I mean, everybody's heard of you from the Christa's memory bank but no one believes that you were real. Just a glitch in the Christa's systems or something."

Jeez, even twenty years from now they don't have a clue about us, Suzee thought scornfully. Suddenly remembering something she asked "don't you realize that we look a little younger than we should this year- at forty Earth years?"

Sophiana laughed. "Everyone knows that those three and allegedly you disappeared from the Christa twenty years ago by the time traveling mixture. What- they haven't told you guys yet?"

"Please," Radu said in his soft voice. His crewmates jumped, realizing that this was the first time that he had spoken since the time change. " They showed us a holotape of the UPP being destroyed. But I'm so confused- I've never trusted the Spung. More than that- my hearing doesn't seem to be working at all- I can't even hear your heartbeat. Can you please just tell us what is going on?"

Sophiana stood for a second in silence. "Well the hearing difficulties you are having is because the Spung recently invented what they call the 'Acoustic Plug"- it's a spray that goes into the air and reduces any organism's hearing to that of a humans. As for the rest I was hoping that I wouldn't have to break it to you." She sighed. "Oh well. Better coming from a friend anyway."

You see, after your mysterious disappearance the Spung tracked the Christa once again. Your crewmates were in no condition to fight and were quickly… taken over and killed by the Spung. Then the Spung claimed the Christa for their own.

While on the Christa the Spung found out many things about her capabilities, including a memory bank of your disappearance. The Spung were able to find out that you had concocted a time machine and knew exactly where your structures had disappeared from but no idea how far into the future you leapt. For the sake of Shank's ego the Spung built this structure exactly where the boys' bunkroom was when you disappeared. So that when you arrived in the future… Shank could experience the pleasure of killing you.

Now for the UPP-

"Stop," Harlan interrupted. "We heard the rest." Sophiana allowed herself a sigh of relief.

On a sudden note Harlan swerved towards Suzee. "This is all your fault," he sputtered. "If you weren't feeling so sorry for yourself that you had to go buy that mixture-"

"Just shut up," Cat interrupted. "No matter what the circumstances, we're here now. The question is- how do we get out?"

Surprised and grateful Suzee shot her friend a small smile, which Catalina returned. "Cat's right," Radu chimed in.

Scowling at the fact that he'd been outnumbered Harlan snapped "Well, who has an idea of what we should do?"

Sophiana cleared her throat. "That's why I'm glad you guys were put in here with me," she said, "I know a perfect way out."

"How?" demanded all the cadets in unison.

"The Spung are still the same now as they were twenty years ago," Sophiana explained. "They hide their lack of knowledge by over- elaborate plans and surroundings." She looked up, her eyes somber from experience. "If you are who you say you are Suzee, then you can take over the mind of a guard and get us out of this cell. You would also know how to work the beams since I heard that the alleged Yensid had this technology when you guys disappeared. If you powers are myth then that's OK too. I know how to make the formula to take you back to your own time. The problem is- I don't know and I'm guessing you don't know if the Christa inhabited this space twenty years ago. For all we know, you might end up in the vacuum of space and die. It would most definitely be safer if we got you up to the rectangular room where you first arrived when you arrived here."

"Well that won't be a problem," Suzee said defensively. "For your information I am able to perform the powers you mentioned."

"There's just one thing I'd like to know," Harlan cut in. "How do you know if they guard will ever come near this cell again? Maybe they'll just leave us here to starve."

"Oh believe me," Sophiana assured him. "Until Shank comes I promise that your lives will be protected."

***

After what seemed like hours a beam shot down from outside of the cell and one of the guards materialized. "Here," he growled, thrusting a bowl of gray slush between the bars. "Enjoy-" The guard stopped and took a sudden stagger as his eyes turned purple.

"Great job Suzee!" Harlan congratulated as Radu patted her on the back. "I didn't even see it coming."

Wearing the same blank expression Sophiana said "Now are you gonna let us out or what?"

"You aren't even the least bit impressed?" Suzee demanded, through the Spung.

"A little surprised," Sophiana admitted. "But not impressed. Nothing impresses me anymore. Now let us out."

With a swerve Suzee turned the guard to the bundle of chains imprisoning them. "The key should be in his left coat pocket," Sophiana instructed. "I've seen this guy before."

While Radu muttered something about all Spung looking the same Suzee fumbled around in the pocket. At last she felt her captor's claw encircle around a metallic object. With a sudden thrust both claw and key were out of the pocket and Suzee's body took a swing backward.

Catalina caught her friend's body. "You OK?" she asked in concern.

"Yeah," Guard/Suzee responded. "Just nervous that's all. I mean, what if we get caught?"

"If you stop talking and start working then that won't be a problem!" Sophiana cried out impatiently.

"OK, OK." Suzee muttered. With a turn of the key the lock sprang open and the chains were easily removed. Harlan, Radu, Cat and Sophiana rushed out of the cell to the freedom outside. "Come on Suzee!" Harlan yelled, turning to look at his friend.

"Hold on," Suzee replied. Swiftly she removed a weapon from the guard's back and hit him over the head with it. Suzee escaped from the body as it toppled to the floor. "That'll keep him out for awhile," she said once safe inside her own body.

Her companions gave her weary smiles as she descended from the cell. "Cat you can help me out here," Suzee said. "'Cause if the beaming technology is the same here as it is on Yensid-"

"Then there are little templates on the floor to show us where to stand!" Catalina finished for her. "OK, let's get moving!"

Relieved at the simplicity of the task all five companions groped around in the dimness. "Hey guys, this is the place where the guards usually beam in," Sophiana gestured to the floor beneath her. "But I don't see any template."

Links to other sites on the Web

Chain Reaction, Part Two
Fanfiction Page
Main Page


This page formerly hosted by Yahoo! GeoCities