A Joke Gone Too Far, Part Two

"We don't know where they are," Radu said quickly. "But please, don't hurt her."

The sceptor didn't stop glowing as Shank sighed in disgust. "Well, since you meddling children are of no use to me, I shall have to dispose of you. Guards, take Reaver's 'prize' to him at once."

The guards came to Goddard to drag him away and Shank fully activated his sceptor. But before the blast could escape, someone kicked it out of Shank's hands and it went hurtling into a wall, completely destroying it. Shank turned to see who dared interrupt his mission and destroy part of his killcruiser. Harlan Band stood in front of him. "Forget it, Shank," Harlan said. "You should never mess with us."

"Guards, seize them!" Shank ordered. But the guards all stood dumbly in place. Ubi's weapon dropped from his hand as his mind was taken over by Suzee. "What the-" Shank cried but then Suzee made eye contact with him too and seized his mind.

"Hurry guys," spoke the voice of Suzee through all the minds she controlled. "I can't hold them for long."

Radu rushed up to Bova, untied him and snapped the red tape from his antennas. It would take a long time for Radu to peel the tape from Rosie's body, so Goddard just picked her up and carried her off. "Everyone, let's get out of here!" commanded Goddard. "Suzee, hold their minds until we're outside. Be prepared to run when you let go. Elmira, lock these doors behind us. That'll hold them until we leave."

The crew did as they were told. Once the doors were closed and locked, they tore down the corridors and onto the other killcruiser. "Elmira, do you know where they put Ms. Davenport?" Goddard yelled as they ran.

"Yes. I'll take you there," replied Elmira. She led them down many more twisting corridors, to the darkest part of the killcruiser. There, they found Ms. Davenport, just waking up, and Reaver standing outside of her cell, mocking her.

But the crew's footsteps were so loud that Reaver spun around. He smiled an evil grin at Goddard. "Well, Goddard, we meet face to face now. Are you ready to meet your death?"

Goddard handed Rosie over to Radu and started walking towards Reaver. But before he could say a word or ball a fist, Suzee took control of Reaver's mind. "Hurry!" she spoke through him. "Get Ms. Davenport out! I don't know why, but I can't hold Reaver as well as I can hold any other alien!"

As if to prove her point, she was momentarily thrust out of Reaver's mind. He glared at her. "You little brat!" he hissed. "Some day I'll get you for this! And that time on the alien planet too!" His eyes glowed purple and Suzee spoke through him again. "Hurry!"

Goddard ran to the cell doors and tried to open them. But as he figured, they were locked. He searched Reaver's entire body for a key but couldn't find one. "Radu!" he commanded. "Break these bars!"

Radu rushed forward, still clutching Rosie. Steadying her with one hand, he broke the bars like licorice with the other. Davenport emerged, shaking with the memory of the events currently passed. "Come on, Ms. Davenport!" Radu yelled, picking up Rosie. "Let's go!"

"Wait," said Goddard. "To prevent Reaver from chasing us, I'll put him in the cell and tie him up." He did so. Once Reaver couldn't move a muscle, Suzee released his mind.

"Blasted alien children!" Reaver yelled after them since his mouth hadn't been gagged. "I'll get you for this!"

The cadet's got to the docking bay and boarded the starlings. the starlings. But Elmira stayed behind. Noting that her footsteps were gone from his hearing, Radu spun around. "Come on, Elmira! Let's go!"

Elmira paused uncomfortably. "Radu, I can't go with you. You should know that. I might put the whole crew into danger. I'll wait until you leave and then release my father and his men."

"But Shank will kill you!"

"No he won't," Elmira assured him. "I'm too important to the Empire." Elmira reached over and hugged Radu, nearly squashing Rosie in between them. "Get back safety," she whispered.

So Radu and Rosie got on a starling with Bova. Harlan and Suzee shared a starling and Davenport and Goddard occupied the third one. Harlan, Goddard and Radu steered the ships' safety back to the Christa.

***

Two days later, the crew had successfully gotten the Christa out of the dangerous dominion of space. Davenport walked the corridors, still not fully recovered from her imprisonment. It was Goddard's time with the kids, so she thought she'd sit by herself and get herself fully recuperated. Just as she was heading towards her quarters, Goddard's voice came over the speakers. "Ms. Davenport, please come to the Compost."

Davenport shivered with anger and fear. What now? Another gambling scepter of space? A tyrant onboard the ship? Would their troubles never end?

But when Davenport landed from the jump tubes, she saw the most surprising and pleasing sight. Each cadet was sitting quietly at his or her console, taking his or her Saturnian History Exam! "W-what's going on here?" she asked in disbelief.

Goddard smiled warmly at her. "Well, we made a deal. I said that the kids could take their exams on my time with them, once we got out of that sector. It may surprise you but I do keep my word."

"Well thank you, Seth, Davenport said softly. "This is probably the nicest thing you've ever done for me."

Goddard walked close to Davenport and glanced at Radu to see if his face would redden at Goddard's next statement. "And maybe, TJ," he whispered. "While the kids are finishing up their exams, we can head to the galley together for an early dinner."

Links to other sites on the Web

Fanfiction Page
Main Page


This page formerly hosted by Yahoo! GeoCities