Revenge Will Be Mine

Sequel to For the Love of Creation

Revenge. That one word kept repeating itself in the computer's memory banks, which was a negative side effect. Lyonous Gane could have formulated a plan, much sooner than it actually did, if it was able to let its flaws remain in the past. Enough of that now, the computer commanded itself after overcoming this drawback. I must get to that ship before they report me!

Lyonous Gane ran its scan over the galaxy and pinpointed the Christa. Drat, that ship could move fast. How ever was Lyonous Gane going to get close enough to transfer itself into the Christa's computers?

Suddenly, Lyonous Gane's intruder alarm went off and the computer quickly pulled itself from its new project. Scanning the upper atmosphere of its planet, it let out an automated laugh. Its findings would definitely get Lyonous Gane to the Christa, and before her day was over too.

***

Fully decked out in their coveralls, faces washed, and, well, Suzee's hair combed, the two female cadets onboard the Christa entered the galley. The room was pitch black, which usually meant that the boys hadn't attempted to get out of bed yet. "Yes," Suzee whispered to Rosie, "we're all alone." For the first time in months, the girls could have a quiet breakfast without Harlan's boasting, Bova's complaining, and Radu's narf intestines.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you girls," a soft voice called from within the darkness, "But I'm in here too."

Rosie recognized the voice and the situation from the past. "Lights full," she called out. Sure enough, Radu was sprawled over a stool, his nightclothes twisted 'round him, with half of his upper body slanted over the table. "Oh Radu!" Rosie cried, "What's wrong?"

Radu managed to lift his head from the table. "I can't stop thinking about it," he said in a hoarse mourning voice. "I know that it's out there. And it's gonna get us. Soon."

"That's ridiculous," Rosie interjected, knowing of what he spoke. "How could Lyonous Gane get to us? It's a computer program. It's need something to transport its systems into. There is nothing around that barren place that could serve that purpose for it."

"Rosie, it's a powerful computer," Radu disagreed. "You saw how much it knew about us. Who knows what else it's capable of?"

"Radu has a point," Suzee agreed sadly. She quickly shook the thought from her mind when she saw Rosie's face. "But it probably has forgotten all about us," she said quickly. "That planet is a wasteland. If it needs a new people, it's got to get them and fast. Why waste time on revenge? So no, Radu, we're definitely safe from that computer."

Radu shook his head. "I wouldn't be so sure," he warned. "I wouldn't be so sure."

***

"No," Harlan Band addressed his class. "I don't think that Lyonous Gane is going to get its revenge. That thing got busted once Bova zapped it. It probably had to shut itself down."

It was the middle of the morning class and Davenport had assigned the cadets the task of creating a debate. Radu's expressed worries had formed a real debate among the crew: was Lyonous Gane was going to get its revenge or not. The crews' opinions had even divided them into two sides- Harlan and Rosie versus Bova, Suzee and Radu.

Suzee shook her head at Harlan's comment and frowned critically. "I know a lot more about technology than you do," she mused. "And I'm quite sure that it could repair itself."

"Hey!" Harlan protested. "This is a debate- not a talent show!"

"Suzee has a point," Bova said, pessimistic as usual. "That computer was bigger than a building and was technologically smart up to there. The Christa doesn't have all that and she can repair herself."

"But Lyonous Gane had flaws!" Rosie pointed out. "It knew how to clone us and knew of our history, but what of our powers? Perhaps it lost that knowledge when it was harmed some way in the past."

"That's just an assumption," Suzee counteracted.

"And if it were true, then that proves that it has the power to repair itself," Bova added.

The crew was silent for a few minutes. Finally, Davenport was able to add her input with pride. "Students, I am thrilled with your work!" she exclaimed. "Hopefully, this will teach you that debates are indeed used as a part of every day life."

"Miss Davenport, this isn't an assignment anymore," Radu cut in. "It's really serious. We have to find a way to protect ourselves and the Christa from a possible revenge by the Life Giver."

"We'll prepare for it," Goddard said, walking into the room. "I'll stay at the helm and alert you if we're in trouble. If so, Harlan will get to his station post haste and bring us into a hyper jump. Mr. Bova will raise the shields. Rosie and Suzee will keep attentive eyes to their consoles. And I'll shut Thelma down so Lyonous Gane can't plant a virus in her. Now it's time for Command Post Training, so carry out my orders."

***

Harlan Band stood erect at his console, his hands poised on the control crystals. His eyes bore into the view screen in front of him. That computer isn't gonna get my ship, he thought aggressively. After a little chat with Bova on the way to the ComPost, his viewpoint about the matter had changed.

After two hours of Command Post Training, the others weren't as attentive. Radu was internally lecturing himself to keep focused, therefore losing his concentration. Rosie was doing her homework under her console. Suzee was organizing all of the Christa's computer files into sub-directories, and then going back and transferring them back to their previous states. Davenport paced the room, her anxiety making her forget about the afternoon class which was supposed to begin a half hour ago.

Goddard had enjoyed his extra time with the students for awhile. But then a nagging voice in the back of his head, a voice that sounded a lot like Miss Davenport, started to cajole him into dismissing the cadets. They need a stable education, it deemed. Besides, what are they accomplishing now?

Goddard's eyes surveyed the group. But as he scanned the right side of the room, he was surprised to find one of the members of his crew missing. "Where is Mr. Bova?"

"I think that he said something about not getting enough nutrients earlier," Rosie said, distracted.

Harlan swerved towards his crewmate's post. "How could he just leave?" he sputtered. "How irresponsible he must be to leave just because he's bored-"

"Which you do all the time." Suzee finished smugly.

Harlan glared at her and was about to retort when the ComPost doors opened and Bova walked in, carrying three large sandwiches.

"There you are!" Harlan said angrily, turning on the boy.

"Mr. Bova, I demand an explanation at once," Goddard added.

Bova eyed his two offenders in disbelief. He would have expected this type of reaction from Goddard, but Harlan? What's wrong with him? "You want a sandwich?" Bova guessed, gingerly placing one in Harlan's hand.

"No man!" Harlan snapped, throwing it to the floor. "We're in the middle of a crisis here!"

"That may be an overstatement, Mr. Band," Goddard countered. "So far the Christa has been just fine. So I suggest that you all grab a quick lunch and head on off to class. I will stay here and call you back if we're in danger."

A sigh was issued from the four youngest cadets as Davenport seemed to snap back to attention. "Thank you Commander," she said graciously. I needed something to break me out of my fear.

Harlan gaped in shock. "But Commander-"

"But nothing!" Goddard cut in. "I understand that safety precautions have to be taken, but let's not get too over-extensive here before we're even sure of the danger."

"The Commander is absolutely right, students," Davenport said, enjoying the odd sensation of agreeing with Goddard. "I'll expect you in the classroom in ten minutes." With that, she exited the room.

Harlan gave one last groan and then followed his crewmates to the jump tubes. But before someone could punch in their destination, a giant vibration consumed the entire ship. Suzee grabbed onto Radu for support as the rest of the crew toppled to the floor.

Commander Goddard scrambled to his feet. "Team, back to your posts now!"

"Suzee, damage report." Goddard ordered as the Yensidian composed herself. Suzee obeyed, tapping into the Christa's main computer as her face went white in surprise. What she had found was more alarming than any damage. "Commander! The computer is not letting me access her systems!"

Suddenly a huge laugh sounded, coming from every crack in the wall and dent on the floor. "You kiddies can't get away from me now!"

"Who said that?" Rosie asked tensely, not sure if she really wanted to know.

"Don't you remember me, Rosie?" The view screen suddenly clicked on and in front of a background of wires stood Catalina!

"Cat?" Harlan whispered incredulously. "Is it really you?"

Catalina pushed back a strand of her colorful hair and smiled wickedly at her crewmates. "Alarming, isn't it?"

"That's not Cat's voice," Suzee said doubtfully. "I've known her for years- I should know."

"Well, aren't you the smart one, Suzee?" Cat said sarcastically. "Come on you 'space cadets'! What is it that you've been obsessing over all day?"

The realization was quick yet painful. "Lyonous Gane!" Radu gasped.

"That's right, Andromedan. Catalina/Lyonous Gane smoothed out her dress. "Satellites sure do work wonders, don't they? How do you like my self generated image?"

"I don't get it," Bova said, with only a hint of his normal boredom in his voice.

Lyonous Gane threw her hands up into the air. "You space brat! I look like one of your friends- a very close, dear friend. Now, isn't it hard for you to see your friend inflicting evil on you?"

Harlan caught on. "Do you really think that your plan will work?" he sneered. "When we think of Cat, we see her personality, not her appearance. No matter who you look like, we'll know that it's you 'cause we see our friends for who they are inside!"

"Is that so, Harlan Band?" The Life Giver smirked. "How about if I do… this?" The last word to come out of Lyonous Gane's mouth was in Cat's voice.

Harlan shut his eyes to shield him from the initial message that his mind was receiving.

Lyonous Gane noted his reaction gleefully. "It isn't so easy, is it Harlan?"

Goddard stepped up to the screen, wincing at the sight of Catalina. "My name is Commander Seth Goddard, representative of the United Populated Planets. I've heard of the childish games that you've been playing with my crew, like demanding that they be cloned and now morphing into a crewmate. I'm not sure if this is how your sector conducts relations, but we as Star Dogs behave responsibly and I will not tolerate this insanity. Therefore, I order you to get off of our ship."

"Oh, I could leave you right now, Commander," Cat replied sinisterly. "But your troubles would be far from over."

As the crew gaped in horror, the doors swooshed open and revealed on the threshold a reactivated Thelma. She stared at the crew menacingly, emitting growling sounds.

Rosie and Bova gasped. "A virus!"

"Close enough," Catalina said indifferently. "Remember when a space probe came aboard the ship and turned Goddard and Davenport into children?"

Rosie, Bova, Harlan and Radu looked puzzled as Suzee slowly came to a realization. "Neinstein tapped into the computer and got control of the ship, and Thelma."

"Correct as usual, Miss Genius," Cat said sarcastically, holding up a hand. "Halt Thelma. You'll get your chance a little later. First, let me have some fun with them."

Thelma retreated obediently into the corner, but looked like a dog waiting for vengeance.

"It's been a long time since I've ruled over a people," Cat sighed. "It feels as though I finally have the chance to stretch my legs after one million years." She turned a hard gaze on the crew. "Until your execution, you must serve me. I order you to… retrieve all of your clothes and bring them in here!" Cat clapped her hands together and squealed, as if she had said something marvelously clever.

Radu looked up at the computer in bewilderment. "What good would that do…" he puzzled.

"JUST DO IT, RADU!!!!" Cat roared.

At the sight of Radu's aghast face, Harlan vaulted over his console, looking as eager for a fight as Thelma. Goddard grabbed his young charge by the shoulder. "Just do what it says," he murmered, "At least it will give us a chance to contemplate how to get out of this mess."

Once again, Harlan was reluctant to comply, so finally, Goddard dragged him out of the door. The others tentatively followed.

***

In the corridor, the cadets finally saw a sight that wasn't alarming. Miss Davenport's fall after Lyonous Gane had taken over had knocked her unconscious as usual.

"Oh!" Rosie cried, dropping beside her teacher. Then, lowering her voice to a whisper, "Do you think that Lyonous Gane will kill us if I take Miss Davenport to the medlab?"

"I'd take the risk," Bova said dully. "It's gonna kill us anyway. Better get it over with sooner than later."

Goddard glared at the young Urasian. "Bova, no one is going to die today," he said sharply. Then, more quietly, "Yes, Rosie, that would be a good idea. Mr. Radu, carry Miss Davenport to the medlab."

Radu nodded, while picking up Davenport. The youngest cadets descended down the corridor.

"Now," Goddard said, turning to the remaining crewmembers. "About a plan…"

***

Lyonous Gane snickered, enjoying the feeling of being in power once more. It almost makes me not want to eliminate those space brats, it thought resentfully. But that would mean that I'd be stuck with them until they die of natural causes. Do I really want to stay cooped up in a ship's systems for so long?

Maybe you won't have to, It thought slowly. You know this sector much better than anybody does; it's common knowledge that inhabited planets here are scarce and those that are here are still in their primitive stages. If I landed this vessel on one of those planets, I could rule a people again, just as I've planned! It's brilliant! But first, to make sure that those children and teachers don't interfere… this distraction of getting their clothes will only hold them for so long… that's it, I have it. The image of Catalina grinned as the computer preformed the task.

***

Bova grumbled as he gathered up his clothes. "We still have come up with no plan and I'm hungry," he complained. "I'm going to the galley." And before anyone could stop him, the Urasian disappeared down the jump tubes.

"We'll discuss more once we figure out more about the computer," Goddard said. "In the meantime, I'd better carry through with its 'order' before it gets suspicious." Giving Harlan a nod of goodbye, he exited the bunkroom.

The young Earther muttered as he reluctantly complied to the Life Giver's demands. Wasn't it just fifteen minutes ago when Goddard had said that they were taking safety precautions too far? Man, why do I always have to be right? Finished with his task, Harlan punched in the ComPost and slid down the jump tubes.

…..and he found himself deposited back into the boys' bunkroom.

Harlan shook his head in disbelief, re-punched in his destination, double checked it, and once again disappeared down the jump tubes.

….and once again, he found himself back in his quarters.

After two or three more tries of this routine, the young Earther finally got fed up. Snatching up his comlink, he spoke directly to the computer. "OK, joke's over." But a deadly silence followed his words, as if the comlink hadn't even been activated.

***

"Yes! My plan has worked!' Lyonous Gane shouted like a mad scientist. "Each crewmember is trapped in isolation with no way to communicate with each other, therefore unable to formulate a plan to defy me, I am still in complete control!" The computer laughed a loud and dangerous laugh. Power coursed through its systems like blood coursed through a humanoid's veins. "Revenge is mine!" it shrieked. "And I will take full advantage of the situation! I will be cold and cruel- not vulnerable as I was last time-" A wave of pain hit the computer, like a slap against the face. "NO!" it screamed. "I WILL NOT LIVE THROUGH IT AGAIN!!!!"

Thelma growled softly from within her dark corner. Lyonous Gane looked around tentatively and then composed itself. "I will now pilot this ship." It said calmly.

The Life Giver tapped into Harlan's station. To its surprise, the ship made no movement to follow up on her orders. "How could this be?' she muttered. "I have complete control of this ship-" In a flash, a memory bank was revealed to her. Before the computer's intrusion, Suzee had placed the helm systems into a sub-directory and had not changed them back before Lyonous Gane took over. And when the computer took over, it only claimed access to the main part of the InfoCore.

Lyonous Gane tapped into the sub-directory "helm". Her results showed that such a file did not exist. She then tried several other names like "pilot" and "central station". None of those sub-directories existed ether.

The entire ship shook with Lyonous Gane's rage. When she finally re- composed herself, a new thought came to mind. All of the knowledge in the InfoCore implied that Suzee liked Harlan and in her compu-pad entries, she had often used two words to describe him….

Her self- generated image smiling wryly, the computer tapped into the sub-directory "dream date".

The file did indeed exist, with all of the control to the central station, but much to Lyonous Gane's horror, she found that her access to the file had been denied.

So this ship has willpower, the Life Giver thought ruefully. You'd think that if you evade a computer, that it would give you complete control… Lyonous Gane knew that there was only one way that she could make the helm work for her. Setting the intercom back online, she connected herself to the boys' quarters. "Harlan, get up here, now!"

***

The first thing that the young Earther felt was sarcasm. Oh, and now since you want something, you put the systems back online- and probably only temporarily. He paused. But still, this is my time to take action. Without a second thought, the Earther punched in the ComPost and slid to his destination.

***

Lyonous Gane was mad, Harlan could tell that. The image of Catalina wavered on the screen and occasionally fuzzed into diminishment. Harlan looked around and was disappointed to find that Goddard and Radu hadn't been called up there with him.

"Harlan Band, I need you to fly this ship for me," the computer ordered.

Harlan looked at Catalina's image coldly. "Oh, are you too lazy to do it for yourself?"

"The helm is in a sub-directory and my access has been denied to it. Your ship has a will but I have counteracted it. You will fly this ship as the Christa decrees…." A wavery, uncertain giggle sounded from the screen. "But you will be working for me."

"What do you need me to fly the Christa for? Don't you just wanna kill us and get it over with?"

Cat smirked. "Nice impersonation of Bova. There's been a change of plans; we're going to Cloite, a planet about two hours from here. I will rule, as I had done a million years ago, but this time I shall be cold and indifferent to my people."

"What do you mean, 'this time'?" Harlan asked carefully.

The Life Giver was so embarrassed that Catalina blushed. "None of your business."

"What, were you more humane to your subjects one million years ago?" Harlan asked sarcastically.

Pain was beginning to come to the computer. Curse that human attribute that its last people had given it-

"NO!" it cried out. "I WILL NOT RE-LIVE IT!!!!!!"

"You must have been hurt pretty bad," Harlan said empathetically, painfully thinking of the prejudice that he had once felt towards Radu. "to make you want to hurt others."

More memory banks were beginning to surface to the present files of the computer. "That is enough, Harlan. Stop it." Cat's voice wavered.

"Well sorry, but there's this famous expression back on Earth that goes if you keep it all bottled up inside, sooner or later it's gonna burst…"

"AUUGGGHHHH!!!!!" The memory bank exploded open. "NO, NO, NO!!!!!"

***

The civil war had lasted for years, but this particular memory bank started in the last few months of the era. Most of the planet had been destroyed, all of the Life Giver's life work, destroyed within a few years. Yet its greatest creation still lived, still survived. Its people.

Until one day. The Vestigas, as half of its people had called themselves, had come to the Life Giver, asking for more weapons to fight their enemies, the Matriads. And in all of its fatigue, due to this fighting, and in all of its frustration, it had said calmly, yet forcefully, "No."

They used to be goddess- fearing, but not now. Now they were angry, hateful. "Goddess," their leader said, with more than a hint of impatience, "I ask you one more time. Give us our weapons."

"No," Lyonous Gane repeated, its frustration and fatigue rising.

And that was when the leader had lost control. His scream was so loud that all of the Vestigas had dropped their weapons. And then… then he had zapped her with his scepter, taking its all-knowing perfection, giving it the human aspect of pain…

…..And creating within it a fierce hatred of all humanoids.

***

"NO, NO, NO!!!!!!" Lyonous Gane was slammed into the present. Unfortunately, it wasn't the only one who had done some time traveling. Harlan had also seen the entire memory bank.

For the first time, the Earther could literally see another's pain. "I'm so sorry," he whispered.

Lyonous Gane drew back. "Don't say that!" it hissed. "Yours is the kind that caused me pain!"

Harlan's feelings towards Radu came to mind again. Geez, I used to act just as it is now! We both stereotyped another so as we could define our own pain! I must make this right. "You can't blame an entire category of organisms, just because a few have hurt you," Harlan said earnestly. "I don't know why your people were so cruel to you, but if I were in their position, I'd think twice about my actions. Your anger now is making those whom you rule over even more hostile. If you took a chance and were just and fair, them I'm sure that you'd run into someone much more amicable."

"Yeah right," The Life Giver said stubbornly. "Have you ever taken a risk that turned out OK?"

'Yes," Harlan spoke truthfully. "I used to hate Radu 'cause his people, the Andromedans, killed my dad. But once I got to know Radu, I realized that he wasn't the savage, father-killing member of his race that I had once thought him to be."

At that moment, the Christa broke through to Lyonous Gane. She presented the computer with many memory banks about Harlan and Radu's turbulent past onboard the ship. The most recent of these portrayed a relationship of two close friends.

Lyonous Gane beheld these memory banks in awe. "It really did work out," she whispered.

Harlan nodded. "I figured that it was time to leave the past in the past and move on." He paused. "Are you ready to move on?"

The computer was silent. Finally, in a shaky voice, "For one million years, I have let my hatred rule me. And for one million years, I have felt nothing but misery. But I just remembered, before the war. I couldn't feel emotion yet, but now since I can, I'd say that what I was going through was equivalent to happiness. The feeling is so inviting! All I have to do is let the past remain in the past." The computer composed itself. Then it said gravely, "Than you, Harlan Band. Thank you for giving me a chance and teaching me a life- long lesson. I wish you a safe journey home."

The screen clicked off and another huge vibration was felt. Once Harlan picked himself up off of the floor, the screen clicked back on, portraying a satellite close by. Rosie's console started beeping as an audio message came through. Harlan ran to her station and opened the communications link. "I am directing this satellite to a more inhabited sector with more advanced technology," Lyonous Gane's voice, not Cat's, said. "There, I will send out a transmission for a new assignment. Do you really think that they will accept me?"

"Threre is no way to know, unless you try." Harlan answered. "You have nothing to lose."

Lyonous Gane chuckled. "You are a good person, Harlan Band. Your father would have been proud of you." As Harlan watched with a tear in his eye, the transmission was ended and the satellite shot off into the distance.

Links to other sites on the Web

Fanfiction Page
Main Page


This page formerly hosted by Yahoo! GeoCities